Unparalleled commitment to research driving innovation.
Lower Spine Research
Aspen provides even more options for indications in the Thoracic and Lumbosacral area of the spine. With ailments in this region, clinicians utilize bracing with three clinical goals in mind depending on the injury— to provide relief by limiting motion, allowing for proper healing; to reduce muscle spasm from compounding the original source of pain; and to promote a more natural alignment to provide pain relief and better mobility. Both biomechanical analysis and outcome research supports the use of Aspen braces as an effective treatment option.
- A Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing Extensible and Inextensible Lumbosacral Orthoses and Standard Care Alone in the Management of Lower Back Pain. David C. Morrisette DC, Cholewicki J, Logan S, Seif G, McGowan S. Spine. 2014; 39(21): 1733–1742.
- The Effects of Lumbosacral Orthoses on Spine Stability: What Changes in EMG Can Be Expected? Cholewicki J. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 22 (2004) 1150–1155.
- Can Lumbosacral Orthoses Cause Trunk Muscle Weakness? A Systematic Review of Literature. Azadinia F, Takamjani E, Kamyab M, Parnianpour M, Cholewicki J, Nader Maroufi M. The Spine Journal. Spine J. 2017 Apr;17(4):589-602.
- A non-randomized clinical trial to assess the impact of nonrigid, inelastic corsets on spine function in low back pain participants and asymptomatic controls. Kawchuk G, DC, Edgecombe T, Wong AY, Cojocaru A, Prasad N. Spine J. 2015 Oct 1;15(10):2222-7.
- Comparison of Three Lumbar Orthoses Using Motion Assessment During Task Performance. Krag MH, Fox MS J, Haugh LD. Spine. 2003 Oct 15; 28(20): 2359-67.
- Comparison of Motion Restriction and Trunk Stiffness Provided by Three Thoracolumbosacral Orthoses (TLSOs). Cholewicki J, Alvi K, Silfies SP, Bartolomei J. Spinal discord Tech. 2003 Oct;16(5):461-8.
- Comparison of Trunk Stiffness Provided by Different Design Characteristics of Lumbosacral Orthoses. Cholewicki J, Lee AS, Reeves NP, Morrisette DC. Clinical Biometrics. 2010;25(2):110-114.